Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: Jim Wise <jimw@numenor.turner.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/24/1997 13:38:30
> Actually, bsdinst is just a wrapper which removes '-c' from the command
> line, and deletes the destination file...  But I apologize for the tone
> of my earlier post...
>
> However, I think this debate is steering us away from the fact that we
> need a coherent set of packaging tools, and Irix's are a good place to
> start...

I would say that if you're are going to go with some "unusual" or non-
standard system, (pkg_* being somewhat standard) you should just look
at RedHat's RPM and get it over with.  If someone is zealous enough to
write a IRIX compatible install (which I have no first hand knowledge,
just a description of a convoluted system), why not re-write the RPM
stuff from scratch?

-Andrew