Subject: Re: Strategy for completion of Kerberos IV integration?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 03/23/1997 23:48:49
>And is bloody enormous, duplicates huge portions of existing OS functionality,
>uses a Byzantine and irritating build system -- in the name of portability,
>which I've got to admit it does in fact serve well -- and is simultaneously
>under frenetic development but, to be useful, requires rather extensive
>patches from unofficial (if trustworthy) sources.

It _is_ bloody enormous (it gets even worse if you throw in the GSS-API
and GSS-RPC), but I wouldn't say that it duplicates _huge_ portions of
existing OS functionality ... merely large ones :-)  There isn't really
an alternative for supplying your own profile library (argh, but why
the heck did they choose the MS-DOS one?).  The build scheme is horrible,
I will confess ... it takes me a half hour just to run configure on some
systems!  At least most NetBSD'ers can use the binary snapshots available
for Kerberos V5 (on some architectures, at least) if they want to try
it out.

--Ken