Subject: Re: Strategy for completion of Kerberos IV integration?
To: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
From: Todd C. Miller <Todd.Miller@cs.colorado.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/21/1997 16:22:17
In message <E0w8DZg-0004MN-00@rover.village.org>
	so spake Warner Losh (imp):

> Only those in the US.  If they are in Canada, they cannot be violating
> US laws.  They can be causing others to violate them, but they
> themselves are not violating them.  Canada does allow export of crypto
> stuff, if it meats some conditions.  The OpenBSD source base meets
> those conditions.
>
> Marc Plumb has done some research into
> Canada's Crypto export laws</a>.
>
> I don't know what the status of the various source mirrors located in
> the US would be, however...

Well, if you export ITAR restricted code to Canada the recieving
party has to abide by ITAR.  Now, it is my understanding that
the kerb4 stuff in OpenBSD is based on the ``bones'' version
which has the ecryption stripped out.  Non US-based encryption was
then added back in.  The crypto stuff in OpenBSD cannot be worked
on by US citizens due to all this sillyness (for instance, the
OpenBSD ipsec stuff is from Greece).

 - todd