Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: Rob Deker <deker@digex.net>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1997 21:11:57
At 03:40 AM 3/20/97 -0500, Rob Deker wrote:
>On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, John Birrell wrote:
>
>> > 2) Nobody could agree on where "stuff" should get installed. Do binaries
>> >    go in /usr/local/bin or /usr/local/PKGNAME/bin, with a link in
>> > /usr/local/bin? What about the oddball case where somebody wants to do
>> >    something different*? Who dislikes /opt/BLAHblah/*?
>>
>> This seems to be the issue that NetBSD always stumbles on.
>> I happily use FreeBSD's system which populates /usr/local. Beyond
>> that I don't care. Let's do a monkey-see-monkey-do on this one.
>>
>Not to mention that we could relitively easily ask questions about base
>dirs, etc.

Here's a suggestion:

Have the "install" program make a log in /var/somewhere that logs what all
it installs.

Perhaps have a "tag" of sorts be passed to install as well, to be able to
figure out what was installed by which when parsing the log?

It's not foolproof (installs via cp fall through the cracks) but it's not
a bad idea, I think ;).

>I know that a lot of NetBSD hackers take a measure of pride in having to
>hack some stuff out and not have it pre-packaged. Hell, I do. But it is
>true that if we do start packaging some stuff our installed base will
>increase. If that happens it means that many more people to help with
>development and that many more neat things like this deal with DEC.

Well, whenever I can I'll volunteer to help test out patches to verify that
they work as intended, as soon as I get a machine running (blah blah blah,
I know, I've said that before, blah blah).
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.     -   House of Retrocomputing
XCOMM  mailto:kpneal@pobox.com              -   http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/