Subject: Re: layered software on NetBSD
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: faried nawaz <fn@Hungry.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1997 16:06:58
>>>Scott Ellis said:

   One of my personal peeves is having software go into /usr/local/
   and then when you go to uninstall/updte it have to track down all
   of the cruft in /usr/local/lib etc that the package brought with
   it.

This problem has already been solved for the FreeBSD ports system -- each
port comes with a list of files that will be installed.  The list is stored
in /var/db/pkg/prog-ver/+CONTENTS.  For example, for gmake 3.75,
/var/db/pkg/gmake-3.75/+CONTENTS contains

@name gmake-3.75
@cwd /usr/local
bin/gmake
man/man1/gmake.1.gz
info/make.info
info/make.info-1
info/make.info-2
info/make.info-3
info/make.info-4
info/make.info-5
info/make.info-6
info/make.info-7
info/make.info-8

faried.
--
i don't hate people.    | suck my ass, you perl -- p3
why, some of my closest | i got some credit in the real world