Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1997 13:30:19
In message <199703201908.OAA00791@rmkhome.rmkhome.com> Rick Kelly writes:
: Someone has to maintain this stuff, as well as updating the makefiles in
: the ports collections.  How many of the ports would fail to make because
: an ftp site had moved recently?

A recent survey of the FreeBSD ports collection shows that about
20-30% of the distfiles weren't on the original systems due to the ftp
site moving, or due to new relesaes coming out.  While all of these
are on FreeBSD's primary site, it can be agrevating to not find them
on the first site listed.  Even with FreeSBD's wonderful ports
mechanism, things like this happen.  I'd hate to think about trying to
keep track of where to get all this stuff on my own.  When I need
files for some project at work, I usually check the FreeBSD port
makefile for it.  Makes a great reference :-)

Warner