Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1997 14:08:34
der Mouse said:

>Here we see one of the problems with jumbo-packs.  Only two of the five
>"essentials" you list are things I'd even wast^H^H^H^Hdevote any disk
>space to, never mind consider "essential".

I agree.

And one interesting exercise is to take a look at at the FreeBSD
packages section of the BSDisc CDROM.  I bought it as it also comes
with NetBSD 1.2, and I made a decision to support the ability to buy
NetBSD over the counter.  However, although there are a large amount
of binary packages for FreeBSD, a lot of them are old and out of
date. This is packages-2.1.5.  On ftp.FreeBSD.ORG the packages collection
is now packages-2.2, with some updated versions of binaries, and lots
of the same old stuff.

Someone has to maintain this stuff, as well as updating the makefiles in
the ports collections.  How many of the ports would fail to make because
an ftp site had moved recently?

Binaries for non-UNIX gurus are probably a good thing, but keep the binary
packages far away from the NetBSD source and binary distributions.  For
the few things that I ftp in, I would just as soon build them myself,
and configure them myself.
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com	    rmk@tencats.rmkhome.com
                http://tencats.rmkhome.com