Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Rob Deker <deker@digex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1997 12:06:26
On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Curt Sampson wrote:

> That's fine. I didn't say we should have only monolithic packages.
> But if we've got a 150 applications to deal with anyway, it's not
> much more work to create a few jumbo-packs so that someone with a
> lot of disk space who wants everything to play with doesn't have
> to spend a couple of hours installing individual packages.
>
> I'd anticipate having a couple of different jumbo-packs, actually.
> An `essentials' one with ssh, perl, pine, emacs, top, etc., and a
> `servers' one with postgres, apache, and so on. There might be
> other categories, too.

cool idea. I'm working on having a list set up here for chatting about this
(i love office politics....) I should have somethig soon so we can start
trying to figure a real plan and get to work.

rob

"Off the keyboard, through the CPU, | deker@digex.net
out the transceiver, down the rj45  | Systems Engineer
line, across the router, through    |
the Hub, out the gateway.           |
        Nothing but net."           |