Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Rob Deker <deker@digex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1997 08:50:08
On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, der Mouse wrote:

> I also fear that this will lead to binary-only packages, which is one
> thing I do _not_ want.
>
> I also expect it to lead to package providers responding to bug reports
> with "why aren't you using the prebuilt binaries?" - because I won't
> be; they are invariably wrong for me one way or another, even if I were
> willing to trust my system to binaries from an unverified source.

but we can control this. I don't think that anybody is running around waving
their arms screaming "BINARY ONLY!". It should be an option though. And if
not, at least something like the FreeBSD ports. Even if we don't have to have
source diffs because it "just works" it is a nice system for setting packages
up.

rob

"Off the keyboard, through the CPU, | deker@digex.net
out the transceiver, down the rj45  | Systems Engineer
line, across the router, through    |
the Hub, out the gateway.           |
        Nothing but net."           |