Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: D. Jay Newman <jay@sprucegrove.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1997 08:29:18
>long way toward making NetBSD more palatable to those who just want
>to `load and go,' without polluting either the standard directories
>or /usr/local.

"Polluting" /usr/local? To my mind /usr/local is the *only* place for
non-standard things to go. Too many scripts require perl in /usr/local/bin
for me to want to change this for no reason.

Of course, if I remember correctly, originally, /bin was for distributed
binaries and /usr/bin was for user-created/installed binaries. Eventually
/usr/bin became so standarized that /usr/local/bin had to be created. So
I shouldn't be surprized that people want another directory.
--
D. Jay Newman                   ! For the pleasure and the profit it derives
jay@sprucegrove.com              ! I arrange things, like furniture, and