Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: None <deker@digex.net>
From: Scott Ellis <scotte@warped.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/1997 17:21:40
In "Re: DEC uses NetBSD", Rob Deker <deker@digex.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, Tim Rightnour wrote:
>
> > I'm currently working on recompiling my hundreds of apps ive had
> > sitting around in bin form since 0.8, and im keeping diffs of all my
> > work. (and a log of all the out of the box stuff)  If someone gives
> > me somewhere to put these, Ill put em there..
> >
> I have a place where things like that can live, but it should maybe be on
> ftp.netbsd.org as well. Before we go throwing ported software all over the
> place though I think that it would behoove us to come up with some form of
> organization for it.

I agree, but is this really what the NetBSD community needs?  Most things
build for NetBSD right out of the box (which is good, and stems from people
feeding any diffs back to the author of the program).

What would be the goal of a NetBSD port page?

Precompiled bins?  Maybe this would be useful for some of the slower
archs, but I run (among other things) Sun3 and Mac68k, and don't see
a real issue with compiling most packages.  And the ones that do
take awhile to compile (perl) often have site-specific items which need
to be configured anyway.

A list of working apps?  As stated above, I don't think there are really
many
"problem programs" out there.  I'm hard pressed to find things that don't
compile out of the box as per their INSTALL document, and there's pretty
much
nothing which will not compile after a few makefile tweaks.

A quick resource for people who don't want to read the INSTALL doc?  Maybe
this would be useful...but is it really needed?

The only thing I use the FreeBSD ports pages for is finding the 'home' site
of various software.  Now if the NetBSD community wants to make a list of
software, and their home sites, I'm all for that. ;-)

  //    Scott Ellis     //   scotte@warped.com   //   sellis@gi.com   //
// WARNING: This signature warps  time and space in its vicinity    //