Subject: Re: loading lkm's
To: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/1997 13:10:53
On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> There are a lot of problems with lkm's in general and loadable
> device drivers in particular which make me consider this
> usable for people who "know what they are doing" only.
> What comes to mind:
> -The kernel lacks modularity at some places, there are
>   "#ifdef"s scattered in the code which prevent lkm's from
>   working. (example: union fs)

Well, if you really want them, I've got changes that remove the need for
#ifdef UNIONFS - they've been submittd as PR#kern/2950 but no word on
whether or not they'll ever be integrated.

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:      |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@pgoyette.bdt.com |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com  |