Subject: Problem with inetd & libwrap?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/1997 10:01:33
    Just yesterday I did a make build on my /usr/src, sup'ed a few
minutes beforehand.  Everything went pretty smoothly, but after
rebooting with the new binaries installed, any inetd connections failed,
and I started getting the following syslogs:

Mar 16 14:49:41 WarpDrive inetd[117]: select: Bad file descriptor
Mar 16 14:50:12 WarpDrive last message repeated 31 times
Mar 16 14:52:13 WarpDrive last message repeated 120 times
Mar 16 15:02:14 WarpDrive last message repeated 599 times
Mar 16 15:12:15 WarpDrive last message repeated 599 times
Mar 16 15:22:15 WarpDrive last message repeated 598 times
Mar 16 15:32:16 WarpDrive last message repeated 598 times

I reinstalled the 1.2 inetd, and this problem went away.  At first I
figured it might be a problem that my inetd.conf was still using tcpd.
But I removed all occurrances of tcpd in the file and set it back to
"normal", and I still get these syslogs.  All incoming connections to
the machine just hang when this happens.

    The problem doesn't occur immediately on boot, it sometimes takes up
to an hour before it starts complaining.  Traffic to inetd via localhost
seems to aggrivate the problem.  I also occasionally got the syslog:

Mar 16 16:33:58 WarpDrive inetd[621]: warning: can't get client address:
Socket is not connected

with localhost connections.

    Has anybody else seen problems like this?  The new inetd doesn't
want to compile without -DLIBWRAP, so I can't see if it's in that part
of the code or not without doing some more hacking.

    I'd appreciate any help / suggestions, thanks in advance.

                                                          Will Ferry

William O Ferry <woferry@CMU.EDU> | finger:  woferry@WarpDrive.RES.CMU.EDU
talk:  finger for online status   | http://warpdrive.res.cmu.edu/~woferry/