Subject: Re: tcp-wrappers, tcpd, and NetBSD
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.east-arlington.ma.us>
From: Rob Deker <deker@digex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/1997 12:54:56
On Sun, 16 Mar 1997, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

> BTW, there are also some privacy implications of ident which I really
> don't like...  Consider that ad.doubleclick.net could use ident
> queries to identify the origin of requests which came in without
> cookies..

Well, if you're worried about that, you can do what we do where I work. We
have an identd that returns an encrypted token like:

 Jul 23 22:40:39 nyx rlogind[2014]: connect from qlKFsNzmDggeQ@ss1.x.digex.net

This is generally useless to the types of peopel you just described, but can
mean everything to me once i send that string back through some stuff
here and get the UID that this is associated with.

rob

"Off the keyboard, through the CPU, | deker@digex.net
out the transceiver, down the rj45  | Systems Engineer
line, across the router, through    |
the Hub, out the gateway.           |
        Nothing but net."           |