Subject: Re: loading lkm's
To: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/15/1997 19:51:28
   I'm sure that I recall somebody with a module that would change the
   securelevel (or just load modules anyway?) a while ago?  can't find any trace
   of it now..

there is a module (default-securelevel.c) that roland mcgrath wrote
many many years ago.  i used to use it, but, i put `options INSECURE'
into my std.sparc a while ago and stopped using it.

the biggest problem with this module is that you _have_ to run it
before /etc/rc finishes, or init will hijack securelevel and you can
no longer load LKM's ..

you can do two things:
	- add `options INSECURE' to your kernel
	- run gdb -k -w /netbsd, and set the value of securelevel to -1
	  ('set securelevel=-1' while in gdb, then quit it).

both of these require a reboot.