Subject: Re: getpwent(3) funcs return static structure
To: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/14/1997 15:05:15
[ On Thu, March 13, 1997 at 16:45:18 (+0000), Robert Black wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: getpwent(3) funcs return static structure
>
> Not necessarily. One circumstance under which I think this is very useful is
> when you have an outside contactor who needs temporary root access. My
> inclination would be to create an alternative uid==0 account with a short
> expiry for the duration of their needing root access, given that they might do
> things like writing the root password on a bit of paper in their wallet (or
> anything else likely to have been drummed out of the heads of normal employee
> sysadmins). The temporarily increased risk is far outweighed by the decreased
> risk to the *real* root account.

Ah, nope.  ;-)

Either you trust the person you give the root password to, or you don't.
If uid 0 is compromised, it matters not what the user-id was that the
compromise was introduced from (unless the compromise was incomplete, in
which case the hope of an un-compromised audit trail may be of some
use -- eg. the contractor failed to check where syslog messages are sent
and didn't prevent the syslog host from receiving the su log entry).

Iff you have some/many people who use the root account regularly (and
this is a strange high-risk situation in the first place), and you have
a trusted contractor who needs temporary root access, but you can't just
change the root password to some temporary value the contractor knows
because then the others would need to learn it instantly too, then yes,
creating a temporary uid==0 account with the temporary password for the
contractor is a definite benefit, and the increased risk may well be of
minimal importance.

In other words your claim could only be true if the password on the
"root" account was special in some way.  Maybe it's never changed, or
perhaps it is shared among many systems.  Iff this is the case then
having multiple uid==0 accounts is indeed almost risk-free.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>