Subject: Re: Summary (off-topic) How to hinder mail-ads
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Wheadon <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/12/1997 12:41:52
Right to summarise: There are many sites with infos
on hindering 'spams' I chose http://www.vix.com/spam

There were two interesting packages:
	sendmail.8.8.5-refuse-patch-q-beta4.gz
and
	check.tar.
Since the later uses existing sendmail routines and
doesn't necesitate changing the source I chose it.

Follow the description README.check for changing
your .mc file.

Then get the list of nasty spam-domains and put it
in /etc/mail/SpamDomains (you'll have to edit it
and check there are no domains in it with whom your
users frequently converse).

The only problems I have seen (other than loosing
20 mails while I was configuring it) are that a
bug? in pine causes mail created locally to fail because
[UNIX: localhost] is seen as a foreign system and thus
is not relayed 'We do not relay'. Changing pine.conf.fixed
to use the local machine as an smtp machine solves it.

Since future sendmail is expected to have this as an
option I haven't delved futher into it. I did change
the error codes from 5xx to 4xx though (especially while
testing so as not to permanently lose some mail)

Cheerio
	Andrew
--
The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity. (Mark Twain)
current	release=doc host=netbsd.wifo.uni-mannheim.de \ "NetBSD-current mirror"