Subject: Re: Getting current...
To: None <magus@cs.mcgill.ca>
From: Masami and Ken Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 03/11/1997 14:23:44
On Mon, 10 Mar 1997 21:47:48 -0500 (EST),
Benoit MARTEL <magus@cs.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> > I suggest you do "make build" with the above-mentioned Makefile
> > *in the sinle-user mode*.  Oh, wait, before doing that, you have
> > to do, by hand, "cd /usr/src/usr.bin/make; make && make install"
> > and "cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config; make && make install".

This one, my mistake.  Since "make build" in /usr/src doesn't make a
new kernel, it is not necessary to make make and config before doing
so.  However, since you should make a new kernel before the rest of
the world, you should make the two programs first, a new kernel
second, reboot with the new kernel, then you can finally do the rest.
It takes a few days on my SE/30 (68030@16MHz).  Note, however, that
making make and config prior to making kernel isn't necessary if your
make and config are up to date (e.g. running a recent snapshot).

> 1) cd /usr/src/usr.bin/make; make && make install
> 2) cd /usr/src/usr.bin/config; make && make install
> 3) configure and compile a new kernel
> 4) boot with the new kernel
> 5) cd /usr/src; make build

I think this is OK, is it?