Subject: Statically linked progs.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Benoit MARTEL <magus@cs.mcgill.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/1997 15:24:15
Hi,
It's the first time I try to update my system to -current.
I got this far thanks to Martin Cracauer and his "howto" page.

I'm running 1.2 for mac68k and compiling the tarballs from last week
(then I'll setup ppp and sup the current).

I did "make includes" in /usr/src/includes and in /usr/src/sys.
I also built and installed config, install and gcc.
Then I compiled a new kernel and rebooted using it.

Now, my problem is with statically linked progs.
If I try to build everything before installing more stuff, I get errors
when progs try to link with my libraries because they are the old ones (I
get undefined symbols.  If I update my libraries and try to go back and
compile the rest, my system is almost unusable because my binaries are
the old ones and get undefined symbols from the new libraries (even login
doesn't work).

I have a sort of chicken-egg problem with my libraries-binaries...

What is the right way to do this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Because user errors often produce unpredictable results, the user
should try to avoid them."

IBM MVS/XA System Programming Library.