Subject: NFS file and record `locking' services
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/1997 00:32:03
I've just committed my port of the FreeBSD rpc.statd/rpc.lockd to the
source tree.  While the code looks significantly different in outward form
from the original source, the functionality remains essentially the same.

This, however, brings along a note of caution:  the same limitations apply
as do to the FreeBSD statd/lockd.  Do not attempt to rely upon these
daemons to provide actual file/record locking!  They are provided to allow
NetBSD to act as an NFS server in environments where the administrator has
determined that they are necessary to interact with a commercial NFS
implementation.  (I have personal experience with HP-UX 9.x systems that
require this, and have been told that at least some versions of SunOS 4 do
likewise.)  In keeping with this warning, both rpc.lockd and rpc.statd are
disabled by default in /etc/rc.conf.

For more details, please refer to rpc.lockd(8) and rpc.statd(8).

--scott