Subject: Re: getpwent(3) funcs return static structure
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 03/07/1997 07:10:46
>> One of my long-term projects is to find and eradicate everywhere in
>> the tree where "uid==0" and "superuser" are equated, [...]
> It would be nice to be able to have multiple superuser accounts
> without the system getting confused.  [...]

That's my main motivation too.  Many things assume that a user's UID is
a unique handle on that user.  Most of them are pretty trivially
fixable, but one important one (ssh) isn't.  I filed a bug report with
the ssh people and was told "don't do that", that I can expect things
to break when I have multiple users with the same UID.  Quite aside
from the arrogance of this reply (where does ssh get off telling me how
to administer my system?!), this simply isn't possible when you want
two of those users to be superusers.  (Of course, I may also someday
build that "second independent implementation" of the ssh wire
protocol, in which case of course _my_ implementation won't have this
bug. :-)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca