Subject: Re: An oops in moving to current.
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/07/1997 16:46:38
   	I was somewhat distressed to find that I couldn't login.
   Turns out that portmap and inetd are both dumping core on an illegal
   system call.  I gather this is in the new libraries that this process
   felt like installing in /usr/lib.  I certainly did not expect 'make
   build' to produce this.

this is because the system libraries now use the poll(2) system call
rather than the select(2) system call, and poll(2) is new since 1.2.

   	At any rate, I'm letting things continue (I spawed a few
   xterms from the console so that I would at my normal desk) and am
   hoping to get the old (386-40) thing back working sometime soon.

you need a new kernel.

   	The pppd bug, BTW had to do with the grammar.c file that yacc
   produces.  Any fixes for this?

i suggest that you delete your pppd, and refetch them.  or maybe just
delete the grammer.c file and try again.  or maybe the grammer.y, or
maybe as mike said, a .depend problem.  one of the above should work,
though.  :-)

TO EVERYONE:

one of the first rules about tracking netbsd-current that i remember
being aware of was "always boot new kernel before updating the user
land".  i'm sure that are exceptions to this that have happened from
time to time, but, i've seen *MANY* more problems from not doing this
than what i believe would be from doing it.  remember:  it's generally
pretty easy to boot a backup kernel (cuz you saved it, right?), but
most people can't do that with the rest of the system.