Subject: Re: ppp connection strangeness...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 03/05/1997 10:18:32
is@Beverly.Rhein.DE wrote:
: Peter Seebach (seebs@solon.com) wrote:
: : 2.  If I'm doing a fairly large download to either a mac or a windoze PC,
: : which is connected to the 3/60 over ethernet, the network feed (which I'm
: : watching as modem LED's) will abruptly stop transferring data, and hang for
: : several minutes.  However, if I hit return in an rlogin to a machine on the
: : other end of the link, everything recovers for a while, running anywhere from
: : three seconds to a minute, and then hangs again.
: :
: : The PPP link is over a 28.8 modem which claims to have some compression.  I
: : don't recall seeing this when I was using my Amiga as a network feed.
: :
: : Any suggestions?  Is this a sun thing, or a PPP thing, or a couple-months-old
: : -current thing?
:
: This is a broken-handshake-at-some-point thing. PPP gets a broken
: VJ-compressed packet, and drops all input until it gets one with an
: explicit connection index.

and more of my wisdom...

I just remembered the 28.800 think. I'd humbly suggest that you switch
modem compression off, and operate the DTE-DCE line at the closest
baudrate possible (say, 38400, not more)...

bulk transfers are mostly incompressible anyway (say, gzipped files);
sup and cvs do their own compression, too [this is a good thing, as
(de-)compression is done end to end, not per-link]; and if you worry about
interactive stuff, negotiate with your peer to use bsdcomp or deflate
data compression. Its much cheaper for the OS to use a few CPU cycles for
(de)compression than to get twice the interupt rate on serial input.

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis