Subject: Re: (off-topic) How to hinder mail-ads ?
To: der Mouse <mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/03/1997 11:55:31
> The easiest way to send it to /dev/null is to have your MTA accept it
> and then drop it on the floor.  Bouncing it is rarely going to help,
> because the bounce will bounce and land in your local postmaster's
> mailbox anyway - identifying a useful address to bounce it to is
> _hard_, probably AI-complete.

True.   However, if you can generate an SMTP error when the spammer
tries to deliver the mail to you, there's a chance the spammer will
get it.   This is what I do - I refuse the email immediately.   The
fact that I'm my local postmaster makes this somewhat simpler.

> but that machine is probably an innocent intermediate hop, not
> guilty at all.

Actually, the postmaster of the intermediate hop machine is a bit
guilty.  It's pretty easy to configure your sendmail so that it won't
forward messages from a remote domain to a remote domain.  At this
stage in the game, a site that doesn't do this is, IMHO, culpable for
the delivery of spam through their site.  Some of the sites from which
I refuse email are legitimate ISPs that simply don't stop their users
from spamming.   Others are sites, like worldnet.att.net, through
which spammers seem to like to spam, and which do nothing about it.

			       _MelloN_