Subject: Re: NFS V3 problems?
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Jesus M. Gonzalez <jgb@gsyc.inf.uc3m.es>
List: current-users
Date: 03/03/1997 13:52:53
Frank van der Linden writes:
 > Having said all this.. if you didn't remove any files in the compilation
 > directory itself on the server, it is strange that you were seeing this.
 > It's even more strange that killing the nfsd (and restarting I would
 > assume ;-)) would solve it.. To make sure: you killed all the nfsds
 > on the server and then you restarted them, and after that things were ok?

	As far as I (and the guy who experienced this with me) can recall,
the process wa as follows: Compilation in hola (on a directory phisically
in raistlin) makes disk full. My friend empties some space in the
disk, by removing files and directories direclty in raistlin. When
I go back to hola, to follow on with the compilation, I get strange errors
from make. I have a look, and lots of files seem to be gone.
I tell my frien, and he can see all them directly in raistlin. After some
wandering, he restarts all the nfsd in raistlin. Now I can see all
the files again, and compilation ends smoothly (about fifteen minutes
later).

	So, in short, the anser is YES. BTW, it's probably unrelated,
but this morning mu machine was completly hanged... I didn't work
in it during the weekend, and the last thing I on Friday did was that
compilation...

		Jesus.

PS: After reading all headaches that having NFS3 enabled can produce, do
you think it's better using NFS2?
--
Jesus M. Gonzalez Barahona         | addr.:  c/ Butarque, 15
Grupo de Sistemas y Comunicaciones |         28911 Leganes, Spain