Subject: Re: 30000 users?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Wheadon <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/03/1997 00:02:06
> You bet. Even on my relatively small system (less than 2000 password
> file entries) it takes seven or eight seconds on my 486/66 to change
> a password.  This is annoying.
Well I just tried it on a real passwd with 1100 entries, and
it was half the speed. All I did was change gen/getpwent.c
to use DB_BTREE instead of DB_HASH at both the two dbopens
and pwd_mkdb from DB_HASH, &openinfo to DB_BTREE, NULL, and
it took twice as long to remake the database, and change passwords.

I imagine that when we change to btree we will have to change the
way we treat changes to the database and not rebuild everytime.

Of course I could have made a mistake, but "ls" worked with the
changes too.
Cheerio
	Andrew
--
The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity. (Mark Twain)
current	release=doc host=netbsd.wifo.uni-mannheim.de \ "NetBSD-current mirror"