Subject: Re: getty and cua/tty setup
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/20/1997 22:53:06
> > Should getty be asserting DTR against a modem?
>
> Yes, it should. Modems generally will not answer a ring if DTR is
> not asserted.

I couldn't remember if it was DTR asserted or de-asserted that caused
that, and since my Telebit Worldblazer was hanging up so fast I
thought it was DTR being set the wrong way.

What it really was, was command echo and modem responses causing getty
to put out a login prompt on the RING output of the modem.

Do you know of a way to make getty unresponsive until DCD comes up?
I turned off all responses from the modem, but if I need to use cu
on it it's a bit of a pain to have to remember what the code is to
get command echo and response turned on again (and type it blind)

Perhaps it wouldn't be too hard to add another key to gettytab...
Do you think that would be accepted if I filed a patch in a PR?
Or should I just not bother...

> > I'd like to use
> > DTR to reset the modem after the call is finished...
>
> Easier, probably, is just to lock the port to one speed (assuming
> it's a modern modem).

Did that, so I don't really need the modem to reset, but I thought I'd
do it anyway just to be safe.

Thanks,
Jon Buller