Subject: Re: if_ep heads-up [Re: NFS root doesn't work with 3c590]
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@CS.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/20/1997 20:03:09
> Anyway, I think the argument about output-line count is subjective and
> biased. Look how many lines of console output SCSI controllers like
> the bha driver produce.  For some of us (e.g., those running diskless
> :)) the network interface is at least as important.
>
> Comments?

Given that ifmedia support is "in the works," i'd say take it out of
the ep driver and leave it out.  It definitely shouldn't be there in
the long run.

Telling people who are running -current that if they don't know what
the ports are on their ep, they've gotta look at the back of their
machine for the next few weeks is just fine by me.

Lots of dmesg output really is a problem, especially for people who
have lots of stuff on their machines, causing the machines to print
out lots of autoconfig information and have the message buffer
overflow before syslog ever even gets started.  As far as i'm
concerned, printing out the port information is extraneous,
_especially_ since ifmedia is coming soon.

cgd