Subject: Re: CVS and current
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 02/18/1997 15:19:40
According to Bill Studenmund:

>I'm trying to get set up to use CVS to follow current and to preserve
>local mods. I kinda understand how cvs works, but I'm still a little
>confused about tags and the different branches. How do I tell it I'm
>updating the "vendor" branch (1.1.1X AFAIK) as opposed to my branch?

When I was doing this I would just import the new vendor code again.
CVS detects your changes and merges them with the new code where
appropriate - if there are conflicts you need to manually edit the
files but you should only get a conflict if you have changed code that
has also been changed in the vendor code.  This worked fine for me.
Checking out the various branches, AFAIK, is a matter of selecting the
appropriate tag.

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.