Subject: xmcd patches for NetBSD with atapi cd-rom
To: None <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi, current-users@NetBSD.ORG, perry@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.ibp.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 02/17/1997 12:29:42
Hello,

I've got xmcd 2.1 working with my atapi driver, by using the cdio stuff
(so it will work with other non-scsi drives as well)
The diff file is available from
ftp://fntioche.ibp.fr//pub/NetBSD/unofficial/atapi/
(file xmcd-2.1+NetBSD-atapi.diff)
 ( Perry, perhaps you could put this on ftp.netbsd.org ? Thanks.)

There is a problem with the atapi driver, which dissallow any ioctl on
a media change. The patch work aroud this by closing and re-opening the
device on a EIO, but I think the proper solution would be to fix the
drivers (the scsi driver, at last, suffer from the same problem).
I don't know what the rigth way is for this :
 1- a new ioctl, which set a flag telling the driver to ignore any
   "unit attention" message, or
 2- a new partiton, which, when open, set the above flag.
 discussion about this ? (certainly in tech-kern).

--
Manuel Bouyer, MASI, Universite Paris VI.
email: bouyer@masi.ibp.fr