Subject: Re: can't switch DE500 to 100Mbit
To: None <dg@root.com>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/15/1997 16:29:00
At 01:04 AM 2/15/97 -0800, David Greenman wrote:
>>The real problem is that the de driver needs from NetBSD (and FreeBSD)
>>that the -link flags.  In short, there are *so* many options now that
>>the de driver required, the current situation is handicapping.
>>
>>I need to control: speed, duplex, media (about a dozen of them),
>>autonegotiation, autosensing.  I can't do that with 3 link flags.
>>
>>I have forwarded the if_media proposal from BSDI several times with
>>barely a whimper.
>
>   Just to chime in from the FreeBSD end of town... We would like to
integrate
>the architectural changes that BSDI has done in this area, but it's a lot of
>work to change all of the existing drivers to the new scheme and noone has
had
>the time to take the project on.

But you can the conversion incrementally (one driver at a time).  You need the
framework first.  Once it's in place you can start switching drivers over to
it.  But you need it in place first.

Some drivers may never need it.

3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:
http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message