Subject: Re: NCR Driver Lossage in sys/dev/pci/ncr.c 1.55
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/15/1997 00:59:42
On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Curt Sampson wrote:

> Perry, Dave,
>
> This change from 1.54 to 1.55 broke something on my system. I've
> got an NCR 53c810 attached to an HP Surestore, a Quantum Lightening,
> and an IBM drive.  The HP's always given me problems until recently,
> especially with tagged command queuing, but at least with 1.54
> below it seemed to work fine. 1.55 breaks it real bad; the system
> probes ok but when it tries to mount the root filesystem I get a
> whole lot of `command aborted' with data of all zeros.
>
> If you guys don't have any suggestions, I'm going to try to find this
> the hard way, which means the following:

Unfortunately, I don't actually know how the driver works, or what causes
it to break... :( Try backing out of the changes to the "Init chip"
section, around line 4659 and see if that helps anything. You might have
to fiddle with the "Save some controller register default values" section
around line 3519 too.

Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++