Subject: Re: can't switch DE500 to 100Mbit
To: Ben Tober <tober@bbnplanet.com>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/15/1997 00:28:40
At 05:50 PM 2/14/97 -0500, Ben Tober wrote:
>> > de0: address 00:00:f8:30:94:ca
>>
>> It works with 10Mbit, and it used to work under
>> NetBSD-1.2 with 100Mbit too.
>> Not it looks the following:
>> If I do a "ifconfig de0 link2", it doesn't cause any
>> effect. "ifconfig de0 -link2" prints
>> "de0: enabling 10baseT port".

Known bug.  Sorry.

>Try ifconfig de0 link0 to force 100Mbps mode.  The driver is supposed to
>do the right thing with respect to the standard 10BaseT/100BaseTX
>autodetection handshaking stuff, _but_ the code for that is not correct,
>and depending on what stepping of the 21140 is on your DE500, the
>autodetection may or may not work (but AFAIK setting link0 will force 100Mbps
>mode no matter what stepping of the 21140 or version of the driver you're
>playing with).

Sorry, that's all incorrect.  The DE500-XA does not do autonegotiation.
The link switches don't those things anymore.  The driver in -current
is significantly different that the one that shipped in 1.2.

Unfortunately, I never released that driver for wide distribution since
it is still quite buggy.  The configuration is basically a rewrite from
scratch (and it shows).  I was quite surprised when it went into -current.

Since early December, I've not had an oppurtunity to work on the driver
to due various happenings at Digital (office moves, getting sick, real
work, etc).

The DE500-XA bug is known.  It's one of the bugs I was trying to track
down before I enetered reorganization hell.

The real problem is that the de driver needs from NetBSD (and FreeBSD)
that the -link flags.  In short, there are *so* many options now that
the de driver required, the current situation is handicapping.

I need to control: speed, duplex, media (about a dozen of them),
autonegotiation, autosensing.  I can't do that with 3 link flags.

I have forwarded the if_media proposal from BSDI several times with
barely a whimper.

The -current driver represents the handicaps the de driver operates under.
It sucks but it's about the best that can be done.

I'll to get to something this weekend...  maybe.
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:
http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message