Subject: Re: To build current
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG, current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1997 10:50:26
>Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 12:52:07 +0000 (GMT)
>From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
>
>	current-users is probably the best place to post questions
>	regarding problems with '-current'.
>
>	To upgrade to -current form 1.2 the following will _probably_
>	work:

While David's procedure should work in most cases, there are some
things I would change.

>		cd /usr/src
>		make includes

I wouldn't update the headers until immediately before I built the
libraries.  Mismatches between headers and libraries are always
potential problem sources.  The kernel build will be unaffected
because it never uses /usr/include, and the headers will be updated
when you 'make build' (see below).

>		cd share/mk
>		make install

>		cd ../../usr.bin/make
>		make cleandir && make && make install

I would reverse the order of these two.  The .mk files may use
features that were added to /usr/bin/make after the previous release,
so make should be built and installed first.  If you have problems
building or installing make, it may help to use Makefile.boot instead
of the usual Makefile.

--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>