Subject: Re: NFS root doesn't work with 3c590
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/1997 14:43:52
Noriyuki Soda writes:

>> Perhaps somebody can help me with this strange problem:
>> I'm trying to set up a diskless i386 with a 3com590 PCI
>> ethernet card.

>3c595 works fine with NetBSD-1.2/i386 diskless configuration in my site.
>So, I suppose 3c590 works too.

Mattias Drochner's analysis is correct.

The problem is a bug in the handling of the IFF_RUNNING flag. I
introduced this bug when re-working the elink3.c initiialization code
to work around other problems that caused the ep driver to not work on
3c595 cards on `semi-diskless' (root ands swap local, /usr on NFS)
machines here.

Next week I will make time to recode that change, separating the
hardware reset and the IFF_FLAGS state machine.  Until then, Mattias'
patch looks correct.

(Has someone sent a PR about this so it doens't get lost?)