Subject: Memory Usage Questions
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/1997 10:17:27
Questions from the unanswered FAQ archive:

1.  I have come to the conclusion I have a swap leak somewhere.  I'd like
to find out where.  How?

2.  Has anyone ever checked in a program that can be distributed with
the system to tell when my shared libraries are no longer needed?  What
about programs that need to be rebuilt?

- - - - - - - - - - -

On my machine (i386, running 1.2, playing with -current; and running X)
I have 24 Meg of memory.  As soon as I start 'X' and get xosview up and
running, I go to 23Meg of memory in use.  I also start out with the same
amount of swap in use.  As the system runs, the swap slowly goes away.

Netscape seems to exascerbate the problem, so I'm guessing BSDi
executables might be to blame.

Here is the performance info as of right now:

Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/wd0b       29400    21988     7412    75%    Interleaved
/dev/wd1b       25200    18612     6588    74%    Interleaved
Total           54600    40600    14000    74%

Uptime:
10:12AM  up 3 days, 11:47, 4 users, load averages: 1.31, 0.82, 0.76

Usually, within four or five days, I will end up at 100%/100% memory
use and my system will freeze.

Suggestions?

--
Dave Burgess  (The man of a thousand E-Mail addresses)
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom