Subject: Re: README: setroot changes that affect you!
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/31/1997 08:02:38
On Jan 31,  5:18am, Paul Goyette wrote:
> Will this new syntax work with:
>
>   config	netbsd root on ? type ffs swap on sd0b and sd1b

> partitions.  The previous "swap generic" mechanism precluded specifying
> where the (multiple) swap partitions were if you made a generic kernel.

  Actually, the previous "swap generic" could allow multiple swap partitions.
I had them working in the amiga port last month.  The generic swap
configuration was done by each port's swapgeneric.c, which could be set
up to specify multiple swap devices.  A minor change the the setroot()
routine would then set the primary swap device to be the same as the
root device and adjust the swap device table appropriately.  Any of the
other devices in swdevt could then be added by swapon (provided that the
device actually existed, of course).

  The new setroot() stuff doesn't allow this to be done though.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant