Subject: Re: ip reassembly time exceeded?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/31/1997 02:56:00
I wrote:

>jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan Stone) writes;
>>However,  I _think_ an 576-byte MTU may be required for IPv6,
>>since 576-byte MTUs are allowed for multicast traffic.

>Last I looked they were going to require a 1500 byte MTU.

But, in fact, Jonathan was correct.  IPv6 requires a 576 byte MTU.  I
confused that with the requirement that hosts must be able to
reassemble at least 1500 byte large IP packets.

>Besides, a sending host just doesn't send
>fragments in any version of IP, unless it's IP implementation is
>severly broken.  Routers fragment IP packets.

And I completely forgot UDP as Kevin Lahey pointed out.

Christoph Badura

You don't need to quote my .signature.  Everyone has seen it by now.
Besides, it doesn't add anything to the current thread.