Subject: Argh! /etc install is dangerous...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/29/1997 20:35:05
I've never really updated /etc, so I updated it.  (I was running a .9
something version.)  Now I can't become superuser, because of the
fascist thing.

"id" says I'm in wheel.

"groups seebs" says I'm in wheel.

"su" doesn't agree.

Also, is there any support for removing *ALL* trace of "MACHINE" from
make?  I just got a "sun" version installed by accident, because the
closest thing I can find to a makefile for /etc does "make distribution",
and that installs make, and make then goes and installs the *sun3* versions
of everything.

I'd very much like to never see this again, if I am ever able to get any
of these machines to work.

I do *NOT* think it is a good thing that the default behavior is to make a
machine-dependant version of 'make', which is otherwise one of the most
obviously shareable executables.

-s