Subject: Re: shared libraries
To: Grzegorz Wojtowicz <grzesiek@ajax.umcs.lublin.pl>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/29/1997 19:44:31
On Tue, 28 Jan 1997 21:14:07 +0100 (MET)  Grzegorz Wojtowicz wrote:

> Porting software from other OS's to netbsd makes me sometimes spend a lot
> of time.

You must port strange software.  NetBSD is the easiest platform I've ever
ported to.  SCO Unix, HP-UX, AIX and Solaris are all much more annoying.

> Apart from the fact that its poor POSIX compliant

Flame bait?  NetBSD isn't 100% POSIX compliant but it is very close.
What problems have you observed?  What is your authority for POSIX
compliance (book, copy of the standard, ...)?

> My question is: How does netbsd treat shared libs and if it differs
> significantly from other unixes ?

Very similar to SunOS, I thought, and in fact the ld manual page says
so:

  HISTORY
     The shared library model employed by ld appeared first in SunOS 4.0.

I'll let someone else answer the dynamic loading question if they care
to since I am not familiar with it.

Giles