Subject: Re: shared libraries
To: Grzegorz Wojtowicz <>
From: Giles Lean <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/29/1997 19:44:31
On Tue, 28 Jan 1997 21:14:07 +0100 (MET)  Grzegorz Wojtowicz wrote:

> Porting software from other OS's to netbsd makes me sometimes spend a lot
> of time.

You must port strange software.  NetBSD is the easiest platform I've ever
ported to.  SCO Unix, HP-UX, AIX and Solaris are all much more annoying.

> Apart from the fact that its poor POSIX compliant

Flame bait?  NetBSD isn't 100% POSIX compliant but it is very close.
What problems have you observed?  What is your authority for POSIX
compliance (book, copy of the standard, ...)?

> My question is: How does netbsd treat shared libs and if it differs
> significantly from other unixes ?

Very similar to SunOS, I thought, and in fact the ld manual page says

     The shared library model employed by ld appeared first in SunOS 4.0.

I'll let someone else answer the dynamic loading question if they care
to since I am not familiar with it.