Subject: Re: shared libraries
To: Grzegorz Wojtowicz <>
From: matthew green <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/29/1997 15:25:27
   Porting software from other OS's to netbsd makes me sometimes spend a lot
   of time. Apart from the fact that its poor POSIX compliant the problems
   arise when i have to patch original include files.

what makes you say this ?  what about netbsd is "poor POSIX compliant" ?

what header files do you need to patch, and why ?

   My question is: How does netbsd treat shared libs and if it differs
   significantly from other unixes ?

i'm not sure i can answer this without knowing exactly what you're
trying to do -- well, i could spent a few hours detailing everything
i know about netbsd shared lirbaries, and how they differ from all
other shared library implmentations i'm aware of... :-)

netbsd shared libraries are very similar to sunos4 style shared

   And could anyone give more detailed way how to make shared lib

look in /usr/share/mk/ to see how the system builds shared
   afaik : # ld -Bshareable -o $(OBJFILES.o compiled with
   -fpic)   -l(any libs needed here)

you also need -Bforcearchive.

i hope this help,