Subject: Re: ip reassembly time exceeded?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 01/28/1997 10:37:24
> Actually, my take is that this sounds *much* more like an IP
> fragmentation or reassembly bug.  A tcpdump trace would tell you
> which, and at which end it's on.

How can I tell, from the output?  I could set my MTU back to 296 and
check.

> Alternatively, is there a third machine on your local net, besides the
> Sun3 and the losing Windows95 box?  If so, how does *it* do with TCP
> connections to web servers, or other sites on a different net from the
> Livingston?

I have no win systems (unlike Matthias), but we were using WWW, ftp,
telnet, rcp/scp etc. quite happily on all our AmigaOS/NetBSD systems
with the PPP MTU at 296 bytes.  The _only_ problem we noticed was
the e-mail thing.  Even ping with large packet sizes (1000 bytes)
worked just fine.

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---