Subject: Re: ip reassembly time exceeded?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christian Kuhtz <ckuhtz@paranet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/1997 12:11:08
Reality check:  At the time when SLIP was *really* popular, the fastest you
could go was "high-speed" 9k6 based on V.32. ;-)  That's where the 296 bytes
comes in.

Anyone who's using SLIP today must be enjoying masochist tendencies.  It's
like running V.32 with 32 byte frames (welcome to Telebit land ;-).  It hurts,
don't do it.

Even CSLIP with header compression is so much more inefficient than PPP, and
so much more prone to problems.. *ramble* *ramble* *ramble*

Can we now talk about useful protocols, such as PPP? ;-)

--
Christian Kuhtz <ckuhtz@paranet.com>
                                                          ".com is a mistake."