Subject: Re: "proc size mismatch"...
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@fls.portland.or.us>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/1997 10:08:13
Hisashi T Fujinaka writes:
> On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>

> > Peter Seebach writes:
> > > I've rebuilt *everything* about 3 times on my 3/60.  I'm about out
> > > of ideas.
> >
> > Remove everything in /var/run and /var/db and reboot?
>
> Was this an actual suggestion? I can't get 'man -k' working right now, so
> I tried this. Now I get
> syslogd: /var/run/utmp: No such file or directory
> errors just like always.

Well, first of all, touch /var/run/utmp (that should probably be done
in rc somewhere if the file doesn't exist -- please file a pr)

Second of all, the suggestion was only a last ditch for situations in
which kmem reading stuff like ps barfs totally. It was *not* a cure
all for anything that might be wrong with your situation.

man -k breaks if your whatis database isn't in place. You might try
fixing that.

Perry