Subject: Re: ip reassembly time exceeded?
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/1997 11:57:56
> I suppose that there is some kind of network problem between your site
> and "mail1.microsoft.com." or a broken TCP/IP implementation on the
> MS system which is somehow doesn't show up with larget packets.

Well, everything always worked fine if I sent mail from the PPP gateway
machine.  The problems appeared when I started sending mail from other
machines, connected to the PPP gateway with Ethernet:

<A>----Ethernet-----<PPP gateway>-----Ethernet-----<B>

                         PPP

                      <gateway>

                       Ethernet

                         ISP

Sending mail from <PPP gateway> always worked.  Sending mail from <A> didn't
 - until I changed the PPP MTU to 576.  First I thought it was the Amiga 3000
that I was using as a gateway - but replacing that with an i386 box didn't
help.

I can give you an e-mail address to try if you have a similar configuration
as I do.  If you only have one machine connecting to the rest of the world
with a PPP link, you will most likely be fine.

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---