Subject: Re: How to use CR-Writer?
To: Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.ibp.fr>
From: Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/24/1997 01:08:22
Good evening,

> > What SCSI-spec exactly. I have a list of (numeric) commands the writer
> > supports, and short verbal descriptions what they do, is this sufficient?
> No, You need a complete descriptions of the commands (lenght, flags, etc),
> and probably of the mode pages too (depend of the cd-writer you are using).

I don't have that, but maybe we're lucky, and borrow those specs from some
other program, see below.

> > On the other side, i see what a friend of me does under Linux with his
burner,
> > and get more envious every thime he tells me about making his own CDROMS,
> > audio-CDs, even sampling audio-tapes and burning the tracks to audio-CDs.
> > He's using Xcd-roast... any chance to get this to work when we can transfer
> > images to CDs safely? I haven't looked into it yet...
>
> Do we have the sources for this ? It could be cool to port it to NetBSD
> (I don't think we have any chances to get it run in linux-emulation, if
> it sends scsi commands).

Xcdroast's homepage is at
http://www.fh-muenchen.de/home/ze/rz/services/projects/xcdroast/e_overview.html,
you can download the code from there. I haven't looked into it (yet).

I don't know of what relevance it is, but there's also a set of programs for
Solaris (ewww ;), including a tool for reading audio-CDs and writing images,
located at ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord/. (There's one or two
additional drivers needed, available at the same site, please read the README).
Having some Solaris/sparc boxes here, i'll probably try out this one first, as
soon as i find some time.

So much about dragging together information... :)

Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>