Subject: Re: multiple ppp links
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christian Kuhtz <ckuhtz@paranet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/23/1997 23:21:08
What you are talking about requires source routing, and is impossible per se.

However, another option would be to use a proxy server arrangement on the
other end of the second ppp link.  Point your internal hosts at that proxy
server, and traffic is routed to the proxy server address and then from there
on to the destination, depending on what the routes at the end of the 2nd link
look like.

Traffic originating from your ppp hub (the one with the two ppp links) would
be routed to whatever the routing table says for a particular destination.

Nonetheless, this requires that the service you are using can a) be proxied
and b) proxy software is available on the internal network, which may or may
not rule this out as a solution for your problem.

However, I would recommend finding another solution for your network design.
Whichever way you turn this, it is pretty sick.  Even if you can do source
routing, I would strongly advise against it.  It is bad design(TM).

If you want to take this off-line, I will gladly see if we can come up with
something that fits your needs better, since this goes beyond the scope of
current-users, IMHO.

Best regards,
--
Christian Kuhtz <ckuhtz@paranet.com>