Subject: Re: BIG memory problem
To: Nicolas Sadirac <Nicolas.Sadirac@epita.fr>
From: Andrew Brown <codewarrior@daemon.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/23/1997 12:30:40
>> From: Nicolas Sadirac
>
>	May some one help us.
>
>	We have a PENTIUM-PRO 200 with 512Mo of ram but NetBSD
>  find only 64Mo.
>
>	- BIOS and NT find the 512Mo.
>	- we try change EXTMEM_SIZE in config file but then it panic.

set EXTMEM_SIZE to 523264 (511 * 1024, not 512 * 1024) and unless you
have the -current source that attempts to guess at a good value for
NKPDE, you will need to also set NKPDE to something other than 12 in
sys/arch/i386/include/pmap.h.  probably 24 in this case?  test various
values (i bounced around a bit and settled on 16 for 128M) until you
find a stable one.  i *STILL* do not understand exactly how this is set
so i can't give you a good value off the top of my head.

but remember...always keep a good kernel around so if the new one doesn't
work, you can still boot and build a better kernel.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
andrew@echonyc.com (TheMan)        * "ah!  i see you have the internet