Subject: Re: Creating MS-DOS filesystems
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 01/21/1997 10:56:24
> In a perfect world, we'd have:
> 	newfs_ffs
> 	newfs_lfs
> 	newfs_msdosfs
> 	newfs_adosfs
> ...etc.

Someone else pointed out that for newfs, there's no need for a driver
front-end.  However...

> This would be in line with how mount and fsck work.

...this makes me wonder: we have mount, fsck, and potentially newfs,
all of which can theoretically work on different filesystem types.  Is
there some commonality here which can be exploited?  Perhaps we should
have /usr/src/filesystems/{ffs,lfs,msdosfs,adosfs,...}, each of which
contains mount/, fsck/, newfs/, and such subdirectories...and
potentially others, such as common/.  A case could be made for having
kernel/ and lkm/ directories, but that could be more work than it's
worth.

This would help keep related code together instead of either (a)
scattering it throughout the source tree or (b) having it all together
and then having one program pull in files living in a
not-obviously-related place elsewhere in the tree.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca