Subject: Re: Prentium MMX for NetBSD-current
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@CS.cmu.edu>
From: David Greenman <dg@root.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/17/1997 13:08:49
>> ...never mind the current portability problems.
>
>So, every time the FreeBSD VM system comes up, somebody from NetBSD
>says that "it has portability problems," and invariably somebody from
>FreeBSD says "no it doesn't."
>
>Since it's impossible to prove the negative in this case, and they
>seem to think that they don't have portability problems would somebody
>(hopefully somebody who's been making the portability-problem claims)
>actually point out some of the portability problems?

   We don't claim that the code has no portability problems (as you say, it's
impossible to prove the negative). We do assert that the portability issues
should be minor, however, and whatever portability problems that do exist
can be handled with relative ease. On the other hand, this doesn't mean that
there aren't substantial changes in the VM/PMAP interface that will make it
difficult to port to NetBSD's large range of supported platforms...there are
and it will be 'challenging'. Even worse, as some have observed, it's been a
moving target as we make further improvements.
   BTW, just exactly what is a "Prentium"? :-)

-DG

David Greenman